Sunday, January 11, 2009

31 fractures: 8

1/8: Stephanie

Stephanie used to live in my house. She is part of what I originally considered "the old guard," a group of people who made the house what it was when I moved in. She was the best wj coordinator we ever had. I didn't know her well until probably the summer before she moved out. I was slowly moving up to the third floor, and her room was next to mine. She was very nice and friendly, and eventually sold me her almost-new queen bed and bedding for $20. $20, people. It's a great bed, and I got super lucky (no pun intended) with it. Anyway, towards the end of her time in the house she, Kevin and I started engaging in a particularly nerdy pastime together, along with a few other mutual friends. She has a great sense of humor, and I really enjoyed getting to hang out with her. After a while, though, I dropped out of our nerdy pastime because I was too busy. I have seen her at parties or here and there, but it seems like we are pretty much through.

On Thursday I invited her to the Essen Haus with some other mutual friends. We used to go for their 1/2 price boot night. We got a chance to catch up over some beers (no boot though, they've switched to plastic and we couldn't handle the change), and she reminded me how great she is. She is very crafty, and she had made me a bar of soap for the holidays (she makes excellent soap, magnets, all sorts of cute stuff...I want to suck her into to scrapbooking...) All in all we had a good evening, although I was (as usual) intimidated as hell by her. She's so together and clean and organized I feel like a kid every time we hang out, not because she is condescending, but because I feel like I have nothing that is remotely interesting to her to talk about. But we are going out dancing next weekend (for '80s night at the Inferno), and maybe that will give me a chance to feel more comfortable around her. I'll keep you posted. Really. It's just hard not having functional internet right now.

No comments: