Saturday, January 3, 2009

31 fractures: 2

1/2: Iulia

Iulia was my first friend at college, and one of my very few friends from freshman year. We worked in the same lab together, and subsequently bonded over the long nights finishing experiments, Dragostea din tei, and our shitty boss. We hung out together on and off as she finished up her degree, and then I became the ultimate shitty friend and just sort of fell out of touch. She moved to Philidelphia for graduate school and I stayed in town. I'd send her a message and not hear back, six months later she would do the same. Finally, she wrote on my wall and I replied with my phone number. She called me and I actually answered and we set up plans to meet in Milwaukee on Saturday. But suddenly Friday night she called me up to let me know to cancel my plans on Saturday because she and her roommate Kasia were going to come and visit me...in the next few hours! They were already on their way. When they showed up on my doorstep I scrounged up some housemates and we all went out to Wando's for fishbowls, just like old times (ask them about Gil sometime...). Then we went to the Karaoke Kid, where we sang some Louie Armstrong, Tina Turner, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. We eventually headed back to the house and played Rock Band until 4 in the morning, and they crashed on my downstairs couches. All in all a fun reunion. Iulia is so sweet, she completely forgave me for missing her birthday party last year and generally not keeping in touch very well. We have plans to visit again in February, in Philly this time.

No comments: