Friday, January 9, 2009

31 fractures: 6

1/6: Ashley

Ashley and I used to hang out in high school, for better or for worse. I had no ability to think for myself, really, in high school, so I don't know what she saw in me, but I guess I was probably funny. I am usually funny. I remember that she was cool and that she liked Blink 182. We would listen to a lot of music together, and hang outside the cheapy cinema (why? I don't know).

I was sort of worried at a point that she would become one of my friends that didn't finish high school, but when I discovered her on fb the other day I realized that she is in community college now, so she must have. Awesome!

Here's my message to her (during my brief period of internet time at a local cafe in that one city where I have no internet access...who knew they limit these things to 15 minutes now-a-days?!):

"I took one look at that picture...damn girl you haven't changed a bit. I finally got a brain and a life of my own. One semester left of jumping through hoops and I get that little piece of paper that says someone should pay me some money. After that it is...jumping through giant flaming hoops of my own creation...but you know...

How are you? What are you going to school for? I'm glad to see you alive and well. What's going on in your life?"

You are all in luck that I am so far behind in writing about this, because she's responded! Hooray! Here's her response. It sounds like she has gotten things together since high school, which is a good sign, considering how most of my friends end up...:
"Hey sweetie! Geez...I am beyond proud of you for how far you've gotten. Of course, I had always known you were going to be fabulous after high school! Congrats! I have changed-haha-but unfortunately, I am anti-digital camera or something like that!? I dunno...
So I had to go through a lot to get to where I am now. I had to jump through flaming hoops, and so forth, but I am doing a lot better than I was in high school. I am going to school for 2-years at []for Liberal Arts/[] and then hopefully, by the good grace of God, I can transfer to my dream school: UW-Madison. I am not sure what I want to study yet but I have about 2 years to figure that out of course. I was working, but lost my job so now I have been actively searching for new employment. Unfortunately, so are millions of other people-ugh. Otherwise just living life and enjoying it the best that I can. What have you been up to? I know you went to school and all that good stuff but what else?:)"

Update (me):

"I've mostly been studying. I finally made up my mind; I'm going to grad school for my PhD in Theatre after this (if I get accepted and get money, that is...cross your fingers). I don't know where I am going yet, but I will keep you posted. Really, it has just been work, school, and learning the limits of my alcohol tolerance with some cats in []. I am really involved in the social justice movement in []and nationally, and I hope to do work in social justice and theatre. I wish I could say I met the love of my life, won the lottery, or got some great award, but it is just little old life for little old (single) me. How about you? I've thought of you often throughout the years, and I am super glad to hear that you are well and in school. If you come to [] before I am gone, we should definitely get together."

No comments: