Friday, January 2, 2009

31 fractures: 1

Inspired by Morgan, who introduced me to the 5th annual FUN-A-DAY Project, please welcome 31 fractures.

1/1: Steve.
The event: I got the idea for this project when Steve showed up at my doorstep yesterday (January 1st). Steve used to eat at our house, and we bonded over the general talk of the "academia-lite" (aka: art, music, politics, economics) as well as our similarly shitty jobs at non-profits. He was a great guy, although awkward and nerdy, and I harbored a fancy for him one summer over a year ago now. A lot of folks from the house used to go to the Angelic (before it closed) on Tuesday nights in the summer for great drink specials, and Steve would come along with the crowd. Last year Steve took a job at a public radio in Colorado, and since then I would only hear from him sporadically on facebook. Yesterday, however, Steve rang my doorbell right in the middle of a small get together I was having: fire lit, wine and champagne flowing, talking and laughing and playing games. Within a minute Steve had a beer and was catching up with some folks he used to know when he lived in town. We all got a little happy, and when Kelly showed up I could tell she and Steve had some chemistry. By 1 am I managed to chase everyone else away and convince Kelly and Steve to sit up and watch the fire until it went out. I'm optimistic...

Reflections: It was interesting to reexplore an old relationship like this. Steve and I fell back into old habits almost immediately, but we were both glad to see each other, so it wasn't weird. I almost always appreciate spontaneity, and this evening proved to me once again that the more I plan things, the more they go awry. Steve and I will probably communicate slightly more over the internet for a while, and perhaps keep in touch if I go to school in Florida (where he is living now), but I don't expect a long-term friendship. I like the adage "People are in your life for a season, a reason, or a lifetime," and I will probably use it a lot. My friendship with Steve is definitely a "season" kind of relationship, and while it was good to revisit it for nostalgia's sake, I am content leaving it there.

No comments: