Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Another late night in the office

So here I am at the office watching youtube videos of Wicked and waiting to pick up the twin from night lab. *sigh*. I absolutely love theater. I am so glad I am going into this. Wicked makes me cry, often for all sorts of socially created reasons, but also because the musical is a beautiful story of friendship and certainly of strong women. I probably can't talk about this without delving into realms that I relegate to my activist blog, so I'll just end this discussion by saying that Idina Menzel is amazing and it is things like watching this incredible piece of art that make me so glad I am going into theater.

Along that note, I am more and more delighted with my work on a daily basis. I just started a research project (which I eventually hope to turn into a show) on (topic omitted because that's also something that belongs on that other blog, and also because I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise for any of my potentially thousands or dozens of readers that might want to come see it in spring) something awesome in theater and I am so excited by it. The plan is very interesting and what I hope to do with it is very lovely and fun and creative, but it is also incredibly intellectual. And the best part is that I love the intellectual part. I love the research AND the creation. I hated the other research that I did, and it feels so great and liberating to want to know what I am learning about, and to feel my brain actively storing away fresh ideas and finding connections to old ones. I cannot wait to see how this turns out!

On other topics: school is going well. I had my first exam today. The labs take up SO much of my time. If I had a busy schedule before I am really screwed now. But there is no homework for the labs, so that is a significant asset. I really only have two classes with homework as well as my independent research. Work is fine. The project is fun and important and I just found a lot of information I needed that I thought my predecessor had taken with him, so I finally feel productive again. The cat is nice but destroyed part of the snake's cage (image: me in a robe at 4 in the morning, freshly awoken, staring at the cage trying to figure out how I can quickly and effectively keep the snake from escaping for the rest of the night so I could go back to bed...I eventually settled on duct tape, mostly because it was the first thing I could think of and it seemed like a good idea to my still-asleep brain at the time. Conclusion? Snake is still around...). I still don't know what to call him. Toby's recommendation would probably be He-cat, and that's starting to sound good. Or at least better than nothing. Suggestions wanted!

Twin called, gotta go!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Update please! Miss you, love you, hoping I can see you sometime soon!