Saturday, August 9, 2008

Well, freaking finally.

I left you all somewhere in the middle of nowhere studying for Organic Chemistry Boot Camp (I got an A! Hooray!). Since then I drove up to the cities, and pretty much just spent some time hanging around, seeing my family and friends. I did a little shopping at IKEA, picked up a beautiful ballerina statue and some nice curtains. I also picked up my first chunk of scrapbooking gear. I've only done two pages so far, and one of those was with my brilliant sis Jessi, who's a genius master scrapbooker and craftsperson. If anyone knows the html to insert a picture from my computer please let me know, and then I'll show you the page.

After that I went to NASCO's Anti-Oppression Action Camp. I had an amazing time in the beautiful outdoors of the middle of Michigan. For more information on that, see my other blog.

After returning to Madison I realized I left my phone charger in Michigan, and I didn't get it back for a few weeks. Those of you who know me are probably impressed that I survived. :)

After Action Camp I started working for Sex Out Loud. Sex Out Loud is a student organization that promotes healthy sexuality through sex positive education and activism. I am the project coordinator, which means mostly that I deal with finances and the budget. Unfortunately the previous project coordinator disappeared off of the face of the planet, so I have been spending a ton of time trying to recreate everything from scratch. I am impressed with my budgeting abilities, honestly. Additionally, we are getting a lot of bills from the previous fiscal year that haven't been dealt with. The problem is that the University is so bureaucratic that we can't actually pay any of those old bills from last year. Additionally, navigating this bureaucracy makes something simple like paying a bill or ordering supplies a task that takes hours. It is incredibly infuriating. Outside of that, it is nice to have a job that takes a lot of work, but our advisor is also frustrating. She loves working with the org but interferes where she shouldn't and doesn't help out with the stuff we need her for. Running the cooperative has really spoiled me. I can barely stand working for another boss now, especially one who is incompetent.

Speaking of work, I quit my library job and it feels wonderful. I really hated that job anyway. School has started (my last year of undergrad, I hope. Hooray!). I spend a lot of time in lab (4 hours every afternoon, alternating in the costume shop and the props lab) but it looks like it won't be a heavy semester for homework. Outside of those two labs, I am taking Contemporary Feminist Theory and another Bacteriology Lab (my last science class ever, I hope). Additionally, I am doing an independent research project that looks great. I am also finishing up my Rhodes application (which I have been working on for the past 3 years or so) this weekend, so once that is done I will be around much more frequently to update y'all.

No comments: